We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. - Aristotle

Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Sorry for the lateness of this post(it was supposed to be up by last Friday).

Well I was actually able to get in another day of swimming. I was out of town but was able to go a nearby rec center. Fortunately they had a really nice competition pool. I was given about two hours to swim around. From that experience I was able to learn that:

1. The air(even inside of a building) in Utah is SO much thinner than the air at home. Even though swimming the fly is very tiring, I was hurting after a length of the pool. To help make up for the tiredness, I also worked some on my freestyle but I was still dead even after swimming 2 lengths of the pool.

2. My timing on the stroke is coming along really well. I was able to take the stroke really slow and work on getting my head in the water before my arms come out and around(I think I talked about wanting to improve on that in an earlier post so I'll check that one off my to-do list). I also am getting more comfortable at my kick. My legs feel more together on the dolphin kicks and when I did kicks with a kick board I actually was making considerable progress(which is weird since I've never been good at that)

3. You can learn things much better if you also help others in learning. While I was warming up, a girl in the lane next to me asked how to do a flip turn. It was a learning experience for me(and a humbling experience) as I feel it is just so easy now that I've done them (literally) thousands of times but then felt like a babbling idiot trying to explain it in an easy-to-understand-and-follow sort of a way. I think I may have given a sliver of help. I'll say that to make me feel better...

I was also able(last week) to attend some of the open swim sessions for the school team that started then. Those have been helpful for any stroke I swim but mostly are getting me back in shape.

Goals for this week:

1. I need to re-structure a workout routine. I have late nights so I may need to make a shorter one.
2. I should be attending more swim practices when I can.
3. Get some video and/or pictures.


Until next time. Keep it real. Stay classy.

Brigham

No comments:

Post a Comment