We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. - Aristotle

Sunday, May 11, 2014

Again, due to lack of internet access, this one is up a little later than I wished.

Well due to my found lack of usable pool area, I have decided to add(which I know that I have the "presentation" like this week) to my project. I have been working since the beginning of this summer on a thing called the back-bend. This is a position in which one would attempt to bend over backwards in an effort to touch one's head to the ground.

Why would I do this? Well along with having an exceptional swim team, my high school also sports the biggest marching band in the valley. It consisted of over 200 members this last year. This is big for us as that is like 1/6 of the schools size just in the band. I am one of the 4 drum majors of this band(you know, the guys who stand on ladders and conduct the band, sometimes also performing extremely cool stunts). One of the traditions that is upheld, when their is a capable drum major, is that during the pre-game march onto the field, a drum major will perform the back-bend during the fanfare. My brother did it his senior year and was really good at it. He was able to touch his bare head to the ground(which is impressive as some previous drum majors just touched the top of their hat and plume to the field). That was one of my main reasons for wanting to be a drum major, to follow in his footsteps and copy that move.

It has been a lot of work. The hardest thing is that the muscles that you need to stretch, those of the lower back, are apparently un-stretchable for me. Nonetheless, I have made considerable progress and, when I am loose, I am able to always get within maybe 3 inches of the ground. I have successfully done a back bend a few time but I need to work on getting consistent.

So my goals:

1. Continue stretching. I need to build up more flexibility, especially in my lower back.
2. Continue with personal exercises to help my shoulders, core and arms for the butterfly.
3. Make a sweet presentation for the project fair*



I hope all goes well with my presentation. I don't know exactly how I want to present what I've done. I was thinking videos but maybe not. I have (some very little)time to work it out.

Well as always, until a possible next time, stay classy.

Brigham


*The project fair is where we are hosting the presentations with all of my classmates. 


3 comments:

  1. This sounds like a really cool idea, I can't wait to see how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to your presentation tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved talking with you about your goal change at the project fair! Protect your knees!

    ReplyDelete