We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit. - Aristotle

Thursday, April 10, 2014

Well, it is another post.

I was actually able to accomplish quite a bit this last week over spring break. My father took my little brother and I to the local community center so as to help me a little with my stoke. He was able to do quite a bit. This is what my first, fresh attempt looked like...(And just a note, they look much better full-screen)


 

this taken via my dad's iPad...

On of the main things you may(but I highly doubt) you will be able to tell is that my arms tend to drift so that they do not look symmetrical. One arm (usually my right) tends to come out of the water a little high than the other. This can make my stroke lop-sided. Also, my feet come apart on my kick which a lot a bit illegal. It changes the kick from a dolphin kick to a flutter(that kick is used in freestyle and backstroke). The dolphin kick has a lot more power than a flutter but is a lot more exhausting for me.

One of the things my dad did to try and correct my kick was actually to tie my ankles together and guess what? It totally worked. You can totally feel the difference though it is hard for me to replicate that feeling without my ankles being bound. This is a video(also via my dad's iPad) of that exercise.



And this is what happens when I Streeeeeeeeeetch my stoke out(via iPad again)...







I also started up on some workout routines as swim conditioning started yesterday, though I was unable to attend the first practice. I have been doing a lot of crunches at night to build up some core strength.

So I think I will sign off but first wish to end this week with a couple of goals.

1.) Continue my daily personal exercises with at least 50 crunches, 5 pull-ups, and sets of push-ups.(This may sound pathetic but that is what I feel that I can do at this point)

2.) Look up some ways to work on the technique of the stroke, maybe even outside the pool

3.) Build up my endurance by doing everything I can at these spring swim practices and maybe taking up some running on the side.





Until next time. Keep it real. Stay classy.

Brigham















4 comments:

  1. daaaang Brigham, I'm impressed with your swimming skills! I really enjoyed your video because swimming is super-cool

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dawg, I can't see your videos and Grant wanted me to creep on him.... :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking good, Brigham! A lot of it will come along with more endurance, so just keep up the hard work :) I'm not a butterflyer, but I have few tips: try getting your head down sooner; it'll help you get your rhythm down better. You should start your breath when your hands are accelerating past your hips (use that big push to get your body out of the water) and your face should be back in the water by the time your arms are swinging past your head. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice job Brigham. Your presentation was great. You have a lot of work to do this summer - I don't envy you, but I do look forward to seeing that backbend move this fall sometime - perhaps you could demonstrate in Priesthood Meeting?

    ReplyDelete